Tuesday 18 September 2012

Creative Writing and The Science of Sleep by Maia Walczak



"Repose, not Red-Bull, is key when it comes to moments of insight." ~Sam McNerney
           
            A few days ago I was compelled to write about dreams on my blog after having an incredible dream, the theme of which has been one of many missing links in the book I am writing. In the blog post I talk about how dreams and lucid dreams can and have inspired me to write creatively.

            Ironically, the last few nights I’ve been having a phase of insomnia. And during last night’s 2 or 3 o’clock wake up that lasted - or at least seemed to last – hours, I started thinking about sleep – as you do.

            During the last couple of months sleep has become something incredibly important to me, it is something I have become quite conscious of, rather than having it be something that I have to do and get out of the way. The reason for this is because I have been extremely busy with lots of different things, which has often led to phases of stress, anxiety and exhaustion, and therefore I have felt just how important making time for sleep, rest and relaxation is. It shouldn’t be a luxury - and yet I think often it is treated as that - it should be our default. Quite simply stress is disgusting and unnecessary.

            I know, I know, you're probably thinking, "what is she on about…relaxation??! I'm a writer, stress is my lifestyle!!!" …but allow me to explain how I tie this into writing...



            Last night during my insomnia I thought up the title to this blog. As my blog post about dreams suggests, I have very often thought that to be able to be in a space of insight and creativity your body and mind have to be relaxed. I guess that doesn’t sound like much of a myth. But actually, often creative writers, especially those of us who don’t yet make a living out of what we do, are compelled to use as much time as we possibly can to write and think about writing (often feeling guilty if we don’t). We come home from our day jobs, have dinner, and then write into the night, get a few hours sleep and then get up early next morning to leave for our day jobs. And don’t get me wrong, I am thankful for the days when I do come home and write into the night (to be honest those are sometimes few and far between, due to exhaustion or simply writer’s block). And it is great to do that, because otherwise when else could we possibly write? However, my only point is that if you are feeling run down and stressed out from the lifestyle you lead and are forcing yourself to write despite your writers block, you could just benefit from some rest. Because, let’s face it, consciously forcing yourself to get that all-important ‘big idea’ or insight is the best way to avoid it.

            Sometimes all it takes is an early night, a relaxing walk, a shower, sitting on the loo for longer than necessary, (yes, you did just read that correctly) or allowing yourself to ‘do nothing and just sit there’ on your commute to or from work – and the brain is finally allowed to breathe and voila, insight just happens! That missing spark appears.

            There are countless examples of people (considered geniuses) who have had incredible sparks of inspiration in moments otherwise considered mundane or unproductive…or in their sleep. Albert Einstein, for example, had a dream that helped to influence his theory of relativity.

            We don’t think, thinking just happens, and funnily enough creative thoughts most often come when we train ourselves to think less – or at least watch our habitual thoughts and recognise them for the pointless chatter that they are. You’d think that thinking more is the mother of great books and ideas, but actually it takes a certain type of thinking. Insight comes when we quiet the mind, or, like I said, recognise the constant habitual mind chatter for what it is, because only then do we create a space for something that comes from somewhere a little deeper, somewhere non-habitual.

            So, dear  Brit Writers, never underestimate the power of rest, and the negative effect stressing about writing can have on your writing. Most of all make sure you enjoy your life as a writer as fully as possible. There. I said it. You heard it here first. You ARE allowed to relax. 

No comments:

Post a Comment