Wednesday 5 September 2012

Kisses and hugs at a stand...




Next week I promise to write more. It’s past midnight and I am dozing off at my computer.

But anyway, I needed to leave a quick note here, a word of thanks for the dozens of e-mails I got from my previous blog. Yes! There are opportunities galore and I hope to be able to engage  in wonderful things with you all soon.

The reason why I am so busy?

Well, next week I will start my “travelling season”. I know it is the age of Skype and free phone calls, but I like to get on a plane (or ship, as I will be doing next week) and visit places and meet people face to face. I still prefer doing business with who I know - if I can, rather than with people I might think I know. Kind of old-fashioned, but I am 55, and I can still recall the good old days of handshakes and business lunches. I work some 12 hours a day with people I haven’t met yet, but relish the opportunity to meet them in person during events, conferences, training courses, retreats and the like.


Publishing is a business - a flourishing business - and a brand-new exciting market in many parts of the world. If I want to market what I do, i.e. story consultancy, career management, publishing advisor and corporate storytelling training, I feel I have to go where the action is. In over three decades “on the road”, I have made friends all over the world. I like the feeling that in a very harsh industry I can be on a first name basis with lots of guys (and gals) out there who’d be willing to help me get one of my authors in print, who would help me organise a training event for aspiring writers, and who can apply the principles of storytelling to change lives and save companies! In short, you have to be seen to be “believed”. As I travel a lot to the Latin World, kisses and hugs at a stand at some conference faraway in the Argentinean Pampas bring me more work than fancy business cards or even an all-singing all-dancing website. In the UK the kisses and hugs would be frowned upon (???), fancy business cards are a must, but I wouldn’t go without a good stand at any conference. A bit of a private space where I can close business deals at my own pace, a bit of territory that is only mine.


So my friends, next week it will be Holland, Belgium and then Germany, then shortly after many states of Brazil, Chile, then back to the UK, Brazil again and back home for Christmas. To all those who have written to me and who haven’t heard back from me, I will be contacting you this weekend regarding the opportunities I have been talking about. I hope that when I am out and about this time I should be able to let people know that many friends are being made through the Brit Writers Group. Thanks Imran!

If you haven’t contacted me, please do. I want to hear from publishers, all sizes and types, anyone who’d like to be part of a group of professionals willing to take storytelling principles to the Latin World and beyond, editors, translators and anyone else who may think they have a project which would interest me.

More anon.

Jamie

1 comment: