Sunday 23 September 2012

Rituals, OCD, procrastination? It's OK! By Michelle Goode


Today, I'm writing this post long-hand in my kitchen as I wait for my ginger tom cat, Monty, to finally return through the open kitchen window to the warmth and safety of the house. Most of the time, he'll curl up beside me as I write. A rescue cat, he's been loving the company of a devoted owner and will stick by my side no matter what's on offer outside. Like a protective mother, I do worry when he's out and about. I wouldn't say I need him with me in order to work or write, but I am certainly more focussed if I'm not thinking “is he OK?” every five minutes.

Yesterday, reading “Writing Magazine” in the sunshine by a lake whilst my other half practised unicycling (don't worry, he didn't fall in), I read of how some writers feel the need to satisfy rituals so that/before they can write. Some people needed to wear a certain colour socks, or to stick to a strict regime before breakfast/a treat. Do I have any rituals? I wondered. Well, I always have to get dressed and watch or read over breakfast before starting the day's tasks, but that could be put down to the good mental preparation of a freelancer. Working from home, you need to adopt a good routine much like you'd have if you were going out to work. But what about my personal writing?

Not rituals as such, but 'restrictions'!”

I started to realise that I didn't have rituals as such, but “restrictions”. Thoughts that I have of not being able to write at certain times of the day. Not being able to write in a notebook (trying to dispel that one right now by writing things long-hand so I don't self-edit too much). Chores; needing to do the washing or clean the house. Things that, really, aren't *important*, but which always make me feel better in myself prior to settling down to write. Admittedly, it harks back to my OCD issues as a child; issues I no longer have but which do manifest themselves as “restrictions”. I mean, come on, doesn't everyone feel better about writing in a clean and tidy environment?

Forgetting about bad spells”

Further along in the magazine I read an article about writing productively, which suggested not limiting yourself to only writing if you have a clear stretch of time ahead of you. It suggested writing in small chunks throughout the day. This is great advice, but if you're like me and often find yourself really getting into your writing and wanting to carry on, a deadline then feels like walking into a patio door. However, it can also be a great method if you're a bit stuck. There's nothing worse than sitting down for a two-hour writing session and winding up on Facebook because you can't get going. With a ten-minute section, you can let go of that bad spell; forget it and get on with something else, ready to try again the next time you have a small chunk of writing time allocated.

Use chores as 'thinking time'.”

Working freelance, from home, you have to learn to ignore “restrictions”. I have got much better at this, but there are times when the nagging feeling just won't go away until I do whatever it is that's on my mind. When this happens, I try to arrange it so that I do one part of my work; the reading part, before doing the chores. This could be compared to, say, brainstorming an idea for a story and then taking a break. Whilst I'm doing those nagging chores, I can let what I've read (or story ideas) mull over in my mind. I then come back to my report or story writing with gusto, and a clear head.

Are you being productive where it matters, or are you avoiding writing?”

The danger zone rears its ugly head when rituals, OCD or procrastination activities take over. As a child, I could never rest because there was always something else that required my attention. I couldn't even concentrate on nice things like reading or watching television. When your displacement activities stop you from working or, more to the point here, writing, then Houston, we have a problem! There comes a time when you have to ask yourself, are you being productive where it matters, or are you avoiding writing? This can also lead to guilt, and the cycle begins.

Brush off uneasy feelings”

Guilt's a terribly annoying thing. Together with displacement activities they conspire to prevent you indulging in your writing and reaching your goals. The advice “write every day” is a common one, but it really is a gem; it's the key to brushing off uneasy feelings about yourself and your writing. Without it, you're forever strengthening your resolve when it comes to intrusive thoughts such as “I don't have time” and “Should I really be doing this when I have X, Y and Z that need doing?” I'm sure other writers are the same as I, in that all it takes is a little writing in order to reignite my passion for it. You might not have written for days, but when you do, you think “Why didn't I just get on with it? I love it!” The same goes for other activities; work, study, embarking on a creative project. And this is why advice like “Write every day” and “Write in small time-slots, wherever you can” really are worth heeding.

It's OK to not be perfect”

The key to productivity, I find, is forgiveness. Forgive yourself for doing rituals, OCD impulsions or procrastinating (after all, reading books and watching television are valid “research” for us writers). We're only human. If a ritual makes you feel better, do it. If cleaning the house will clear your head for writing, do it. If you wind up reading that amazing book all evening, forgive yourself. Just don't let it take over; don't let these activities consume you so much that you don't ever start writing. Reading inspirational quotes before starting can help encourage you. And if you're feeling really down, for whatever reason, reading blogs or listening to podcasts written by therapists and positivity gurus can really give you a boost. Guilt about what you should be doing, should have or haven't done does no-one any favours, so banish it by telling yourself “It's OK to not be perfect”.

Shove two fingers up at guilt”

Explore, learn, develop. Read, watch and write. Be human. Procrastinate. Falter a little. Don't clock-watch, don't feel guilty; shove two fingers up at it and enjoy life. Absorb books, films, quotes and advice. Feed off it. Generate ideas. Ignite your passion. And if you truly want to be a writer; write.


Michelle Goode is a script reader, editor and writer who operates from her little online empire: www.writesofluid.com, where she compiles writing resources, writes her blog and offers her services. When she's not creating fictional worlds through scripts and prose or writing articles, she's helping strengthen the work of others or assessing scripts for production companies, competitions and initiatives. Follow her adventures on her Facebook writer page, Writesofluid page and on twitter: @Sofluid.




2 comments:

  1. This is perfect Michelle, thanks for writing it up! Adopting the 'write a little (or a lot if you can!) each day' attitude is actually probably one of the best thing we can do as writers. We are only writers when we write (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I get terribly frustrated when I feel "behind" on everything, or when I do too much of what I call "indulging" in other activities. It can really get to you if you don't flick those two fingers up at it and press on with a positive outlook.

    I've always found that I put things off, but when I actually start doing them I discover that I enjoy doing them and that it's worth the effort. This is why, as you say, writing every day is such a great attitude to adopt.

    ReplyDelete