Friday 9 November 2012

In praise of writing groups by Jackie Biggs


There is nothing like it is there? The immense buzz you get when a new idea forms. Inspiration works in many ways – but it is less of a solitary experience than many people may think.

The hint of an idea for a new story or poem can just wink at you from somewhere unexpected, or the concept for a whole novel can hit you right in the face. Sketches of outlines and great detailed plans emerge from the least likely places. It can happen anywhere, any time.

Sometimes solitary walks on deserted beaches work for me, but I have found that writing workshops in groups with others can be really productive places for ideas.

You never know where these things will take you.  A visualisation exercise in one I attended recently took me straight into the House of My Imagination.  I was very surprised by what I found there.

It was scary opening that door;  would there be anything there, might the place actually be empty?

At the same time I was slightly annoyed that I was being told by the workshop leader that my imagination is contained in a building, albeit itself an imaginary one -- because I felt walls would constrain ideas and inspiration.

Wrong on both counts.

I walked through the door – straight into a huge party with loads of people, music, laughter, dancing. And I saw that I could walk through all this into quieter spaces, full of light. I could make it all whatever I wanted, or simply watch what happened. And plenty happened.

This is a place to dance and to play, to laugh and to rest and wait, all in the same moment. It is whatever you want it to be. It is the home of the fire of your ideas – and we all have one of those. Finding the door is the important bit.

We were told in this visualisation exercise to bring one object out of the house with us. I couldn’t do that either without resisting the leading voice – I wanted two items! But because this was the house of my imagination I could do what I liked and I did bring two objects back.

One is a stone jar, an empty vessel, that can hold ideas and feelings, a source of endless inspiration.  The other item was a beautiful crystal glass, empty but flashing in the sunshine, sending lights rays in all directions – ready to spark off new ideas.

So, do not be afraid. You simply have to imagine your imagination  -- and it is there.
You alone can give that imagination permission to do exactly as it wishes….


The blog for 'Brit Writers and Writers Everywhere' blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment