Monday 17 September 2012

What is in a Sonnet? by Rumki Chowdhury


 My 14-year-old brother-in-law asked me to help him with his English homework: 'write a modern-day Shakespearean sonnet;' I say 'Shakespearean' because there are other forms of sonnet-writing. 

I helped him, but of course, I had to re-venture into the world of sonnet-writing and its origins. Symbolically, William Shakespeare wrote sonnets about love and beauty, life and death. In technical terms, a Shakespearean sonnet is a poem made up of 14 lines, whereby every other line rhymes, except for the last two lines, whereby every line rhymes. Here is one Shakespearean example:

a. From fairest creatures we desire increase,
b. That thereby beauty's rose might never die,
a. But as the riper should by time decease,
b. His tender heir might bear his memory:
c. But thou, contracted to thine own bright eyes,
d. Feed'st thy light's flame with self-substantial fuel,
c. Making a famine where abundance lies,
d. Thyself thy foe, to they sweet self too cruel.
e. Thou that art now the world's fresh ornament
f. And only herald to teh gaudy spring,
e. Within thine own bud buriest thy content
f. And, tender churl, makest waste in niggarding.
 g. Pity the world, or else this glutton be,
 g. To eat the world's due, by the grave and thee.

Let's never forget the importance of literary figures that have set down the stepping stone for timeless literature. Together, my brother-in-law and I created a 'killer' sonnet, if I might say so myself:

I am astonished by the wonderful sea,
Which is filled with the rainbow of fish,
But it hurts my heart to think how it would be,
When the beauty of a rainbow becomes a dish.
The seabed is a ballet of a seaweed,
Call it jade, emerald, teal or green,
But oh how it must hurt them when others feed!
To steal a line from the rainbow is cruel and mean,
The waves of the azure water
Taste of salt,
When it reaches the tongue of my daughter,
I shout to her 'halt!'
In restaurants, they're hits, big shows,
But in my home, we do not put dents in rainbows.



We had a lot of fun writing this and it got me thinking how important it is to remind ourselves and generations to follow about the beautiful origins of literature. Happy Sonnet-writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment