Friday 2 November 2012

Don’t be afraid to show your work to others by Laura Besley


When I first started writing I wouldn't show my work to anyone. I kept it under lock and key in my bedroom and felt it was too personal for any eyes apart from mine. Then I got daring and showed it to my mum. Guess what she said? “It’s wonderful, darling!” This filled me with confidence and I wrote a little more. After a while I got a little more daring and showed it to my boyfriend. I couldn't stay in the same room as him whilst he was reading it; the butterflies were doing somersaults in my stomach I was so nervous. It was almost as if our entire relationship rested on this moment. He was as supportive as my mum, but gave a little constructive feedback too. That was initially hard to hear, but in the long run he did me a huge favour (and he’s now my husband, so it all worked out!).

When I moved to Hong Kong I joined the Hong Kong Writers Circle and did something very daring: I joined a critique group. This meant showing my work to complete strangers. There can a level of comfort in showing your work to people you don’t know as essentially it can be less cutting if they don’t like it. However, that didn’t stop me from being anxious. This was a whole level up from the people who had seen my work to date. These were ‘real’ writers: published authors and people who talked about themes and character development. Luckily for me the three other people in my group were so supportive and kind, even when telling me certain parts of my story didn’t work. I have learnt so much from having my work critiqued; I would say it’s a must for any writer!

You need someone in your life to tell you everything you write is wonderful. It could be a parent, partner or friend. But equally you need someone to challenge you, ask you if you could do more, go deeper, define that character a little more. That’s the only way you can grow and develop as a writer.

by Laura Besley

The Unofficial 'Brit Writers and Writers Everywhere' blog.

6 comments:

  1. Loved it, so true. Thanks for a nice write up. This will surely help many come out of the shell and for many who are already writers, they can build up the confidence to show their work without hesitation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valid point made Laura. we need both sides of the coin, you got to take pros and cons. This applies to aspects in lfe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post, I can apply this to my journey in writing. I kept my pieces to myself for so long...Thanks Laura;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true, Laura. Good to expose yourself occasionally, gives you perspective! ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a nightmare with this. No one had ever read my story. I can;t face it yet, even though I know I need to. Thanks for this post, it really helps! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree with this post. It is daunting sharing one's work at first but it does help a writer improve. I belong to a critiquing group (three actually, one for each novel and one for short stories). I don't always like hearing what they say ('what you mean, you don't get my main character,' I think, 'its perfectly obvious....')but it makes me realize my portrayal of my MC isn't perfectly obvious or any sort of perfect.

    ReplyDelete