Sunday 4 November 2012

Patience, Persistance, Perserverance and…..Publishing by Shahida Rehman


I have been writing since 2004. My first book was a subject very close to my heart, and I wanted it published no matter what. So I self-published my first book. It is the story of my son who grew up with a learning disorder; called Ibrahim- Where in the Spectrum Does he Belong? It took a lot of hard work and effort. I told myself, I wouldn’t self-publish my next book. I didn’t want to go down that path again. I don’t regret it though. I wouldn’t have learned about the dos and don’ts of publishing, if I didn’t go down this path.
Let me tell you about the journey I had. I wrote my first historical novel, Lascar in 2006. Lascar means ‘sailor from East India.’ It took me about a year to complete it. But since then, I made many so many changes to it and rewrote parts of the book. So I can’t say that it was complete at that time. I learned many things about getting published, It wouldn’t happen overnight. Patience, persistence and perseverance are the three rules of getting published. It can take years to get published. It took me 6 years to finally see Lascar published.

When I received my first few rejections, I really thought that there was something wrong with my book. It’s easy to change your novel after receiving a rejection from an agent or publisher. I started rewriting certain chapters. After a few more rejections, I thought, would I do this every time I receive a rejection? I received dozens and dozens of rejections.  I received a lot of positive and encouraging feedback and took all constructive criticisms on board. Just because one publisher didn’t like my book didn’t mean no one else would. It’s all about one’s preference. Rejections are not personal but at times it felt that way. I decided that I had to draw the line somewhere. I couldn’t carry on rewriting the book. I needed to stop. My mind was going stale! I needed to start the next book. It was difficult to. My mind was solely on getting Lascar published. I woke up thinking about Lascar. I would think about Lascar in the shower, when I was driving, I would go to bed thinking about Lascar and wake in the middle of the night thinking about Lascar. I told myself, if I truly believed in my book, then someone else will. This will show in my writing. If I don’t feel enthusiastic enough about my work, then I shouldn’t expect someone else to.  

I worked on new projects. I wrote a radio play based on Lascar for The Lascar Heritage Project. I had articles published and I contributed to an anthology called ‘Behind the Hijab.’ These new projects were a diversion for me.  It helped refresh my mind. I write what I know, not what I think people want to hear.
I read books. It helped my writing. I kept reading. I read books I would not normally read. Writing Lascar made me realise that this is what I want to do, so I  have worked extremely hard to improve my writing, especially the structure and composition, the building of characters, the way they interact with each other, and most important of all, getting across an interesting story in an interesting way. I may feel that I have improved as a writer, but I know that I (along with all other authors) must continue to improve and hone my art. It can take years to develop a ‘style’ of writing and that comes from practice. Such as playing the piano or winning an Olympic medal, (although not quite the same thing.

Lascar was long listed for the Brit Writers Unpublished Award 2010. That was a real confidence boost for me. After 5 years of rejections and tears, I finally received a ‘yes’ from Indigo Dreams Publishing in 2011. Lascar was published in June 2012.  I’ve been waiting years for this. It takes just one ‘yes’ answer and that door opened for me. Even then I told myself, I’ll believe it when I finally have a copy in my hand. 

So now Lascar is published. I’m talking about my book in events and festivals. My confidence has grown. It all comes with the job. Publishing isn’t a beauty contest either! It’s about the book and not me. My biggest achievement this year is talking to an audience. Something I thought I could never do. It was hardest thing I ever did. You can’t teach someone to do it. I’m doing things I never expected to be able to do. I have moved out of my comfort zone.
Writing is difficult, and all writers will tell you the same story. However the rewards of seeing the words you have written on the page make the journey worthwhile.

Finally I must say, would I do it all again? Absolutely. I’m writing my next novel. I used to tell myself, I would wait forever to get published. I waited 6 years….

Author of Lascar

The Unofficial 'Brit Writers and Writers Everywhere' blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment