Friday 14 December 2012

Brit Writers' Awards' 2012 by Conor Ibrahiem

As a writer who is self taught, my mountain was always going to be that bit harder to climb. I count myself very lucky to be honoured with the 'Stage and Sceenplay' award and Brit Writers are the ones to thank. 

The idea came about 4 years ago and I have worked on it as and when time has permitted. It's called 'Razak Factor', which is about a devout Muslim who has a hidden ambition - he wants to be a crooner like Frank Sinatra. Then one day X-Factor comes to town... So that's the premise. It's a little bit of an insight as to me, the writer. I began as an actor and early on I asked myself: "Is acting permissible for Muslims?" It's not the usual career choice. Then there's being a singer - is that permitted? Well although singing isn't my specialty, I know others do face this dilemma, and coupled with my passion for golden oldies such as Sinatra, Doris Day, Bing Crosby and such like, Razak Factor as an idea was born. There was only really me pumping 'Fly Me To The Moon' in the heart of Manningham in Bradford, whilst others were busting the stereo with gangster rap and songs I couldn't hear the words too. And I think the tide needs to change in terms of how Muslims are portrayed in movies, yes we can sing and have a laugh, we even cook, do gardening and eat crumpets. So that's me. That's the idea. I'll be around with a pen, jotting some other ideas down and meanwhile hoping to make Sinatra proud. Thank you all at Brit Writers!

by Conor Ibrahiem

Arakan Creative

Brit Writers
Facebook
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment