Sunday 6 January 2013

Brit Writers Blog – If I Had Two Loaves of Bread I Would Sell One To Buy a New Exercise Book by Max Malik


A new exercise book. I remember looking forward to each new book. Crisp white paper, sharp-cut corners and the promise of the blank page; what amazing worlds could I create in it? When I was at school a major pleasure of the classroom was to get a new exercise book.
One day I got a clean yellow one, each subject had its own colour, and Latin was yellow. I loved the yellow ones best. Each copy had a nuanced shade and some almost dripped a golden honey.
Amicus Plato — amicus Aristoteles — magis amica veritas.
Plato is my friend — Aristotle is my friend — but my greatest friend is truth.

- Sir Isaac Newton.
I wanted to write the truth. Even though I did not realise it in these terms. I wanted to create beauty. But I did not realise that beauty and truth are sisters sitting, staring, one on each side of a window that the world has made opaque. It is the raison d’etre of the writer to make that window translucent once again.
Once I remember my book was returned to me by Smiler, my Latin master, it came as no surprise that I got an A. Even though this was the first time. I had prepared for my homework and I thought I knew something about Ovid. A new ‘A’ in a new book, a new experience.
Perhaps it was the realisation that the grades were in my control.
It was not down to the mood of the teacher, or the vagaries of luck or magic or spells and superstitions. If I would just make it back from the woods after lunch and stop kissing the girl who had those pink violin lips, a few minutes earlier than usual, and listened to Smiler in double Latin then I could get an ‘A’!
It sounds simple and in some ways it is. The easier it reads, the more sense it makes, life and writing are like that. Easy to say but hard to achieve. Like a movie star looking gorgeous on screen having beaten a dozen baddies and monsters; he still shines with a Colgate brilliant smile. That is the preoccupation of a movie star.
The concern of a writer is to first realise the internal truth. This is true for all, not just writers. Grab your heart if you are brave enough, for it takes enormous courage, and look internally for the truths before you ask others to tell you theirs. Tell the truth about yourself through your writing, whether it is fantasy or a science fiction world or writing that attempts to prove a political point. As discussed in my previous blog: When Are Writers Going toTake Responsibility Again?
If circumstances lead me, I will find
Where truth is hid, though it were hid indeed
Within the centre.

 
- William Shakespeare, Hamlet.
It always comes from the centre. Only then can you hope to reflect the truths in society or say something meaningful about the human condition.
My writing developed exponentially through the encouragement of egalitarian movements like Brit Writers. It is through them that my novel, The Butterfly Hunter, has come to fruition. This story reveals the truth regarding the on going ‘Clash of Civilisations’, which is the major issue in most societies today. And when writers find their voice in the public sphere only then can the true worth of Brit Writers be imagined. It is indeed individuals that change society but society also changes individuals. Society necessarily asks individuals to examine themselves, sometimes after a calamity. In India recently a medical student was gang raped so badly she died of her injuries. Seven health care workers were shot for giving polio vaccines in Peshawar. Malala Yousafzai is being treated in my hometown.
Open your exercise book. Look, all the pages are white or a kaleidoscope. They could contain Shakespeare or Newton or you. And every object and life itself remains motionless until you act upon it.
You can write the essential truths no matter the taste: the page is blank, only you can write something that means anything when you know who and what you are. Where have you come from and where are you going? The planets are in motion and for this one speck of time in eternity you can matter: to yourself, to your family and to society.
Life often teaches you that real passion cannot succeed. The world is mean, custom and caution defeats bravery and justice. People are uncaring towards others, full of pretence; untrue even to the ones they say they love. Disappointments in relationships, hopes like warm comforting fires drenched by the desire of cold material coin.
I have enough reason to hate. Hate lives long. Love grows pale and insipid with superficial indulgence. If I have not hated enough that is why I despise myself. I should hate the world. I must hate the world more. The wrongs in it. The differences between how things are and how they should be. That realisation is the great leap humanity has made, unlike the other animals that is what makes us laugh and cry. Our scientific and technical evolution has far outstripped our social evolution. We are in the infantile barbarity of civilisation. Unevolved, puerile, cruel.
There is no such thing as happiness. Maudlin merchandise; sellers of popular psychology books that tell you otherwise are simply peddling crappy lies, usually written by people failing internally. They are like the magician who will tell you what lottery numbers will come up next week if you buy him a meal.
Continuous days of happiness are torture. They leave custom and decorum and pale pretence of decency in charge of social function and also destroy art and dreams. The conformers, ‘the happy ones’, will barely ever create anything worthy of another thinking human’s consideration. The hate can turn to striving, to achieving, to self-discovery. That is beauty and truth. It comes from within.
Yes, I am a doctor working in psychiatry. But you don’t have to be to realise that you can turn the anger, the pain, and the hatred into aspiration, into softness of behaviour but greatness of action: internal cohesiveness and structure is success.
When I am old and wrinkly or even wrinklier I will buy an exercise book. If I have two loaves of bread, I will sell one to buy a new exercise book. Then if I have some spare coins I will buy a sweet smelling hyacinth.
I will put the hyacinth in front of me and breathe deeply of its fragrance. And if that is my last breath on my last day I will plant a bulb. Because love is not lost and the wind rustles through leaves and when I no longer breathe, the wind will blow through the woods still. I will be glad to have been a leaf on a branch that once gave green to the forest of humanity.
And so today I bought an exercise book: it is yellow and the cover is crisp and the pages are white.
by Max Malik
---------------------------------


Dr Max Malik is a medical doctor and an award winning writer, as well as an established expert on ''The Clash of Civilistions' and also a commentator on international relations between the West and the Muslim World.

Web: http://thebutterflyhunter.co.uk
Twitter: https://twitter.com/1MaxMalik
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/max.malik.31/info#!/max.malik.31
Brit Writers
Facebook
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment