Tuesday 6 November 2012

Love Film? by Charlotte Andrews


No doubt I am not alone in my apprehension of any good read being brought to life on the big screen.   Many times over the past five or six years I have been left with a feeling of utter disappointment when my much-loved book has been hacked to death and adversely altered by script writers and producers for the entertainment of movie goers.  

Let us take for example Vikas Swarup’s Slum Dog Millionaire.  Was the immediate likeable factor of the book not the inseparable and protective relationship between Ram Mohammed Thomas and his best friend?  And what ever happened to Henry’s feet in Audrey Niffenegger’s début novel The Time TravellersWife?  It was the amputation of his feet that made the finale of this book such genius and so loved for me.  I am not ignorant to the fact that some details need to be removed in order to comply with time limitations and that some relationships and smaller sub plots needs to be altered to suit both age restrictions and cinematic experience, but sometimes I feel they just get it so wrong.

I have found the only way to get around the disappointment of book to film adaptation, is to watch the film and then read the book.  I have done this twice thus far, the first with Bernhard Schlink’s 1995 German novel The Reader and the second with Stephanie Meyer’s fantasy teen romance quartet The Twilight Saga.  Both have wowed me on the big screen, and impressed me further on paper.  The expectation of fulfilment declines significantly because however much you loved the film, you know the book will be better.

I query how much control a writer has over the adaptation of their own book to screen?  I know I wouldn’t blink at the idea of my novel one day being the talk of Hollywood, swooning around with the likes of Robert Pattinson and Kate Winslet, but I question exactly how I would feel seeing my years of hard work ultimately cut and pasted to almost unrecognisable levels?
How much of a part does money versus sentimentality play in it all?  Could I give up, for example,  Romania for Barbados for £1m?  The answer is yes I probably could, but fundamentally I’d have to live with the aftermath of knowing that that wasn't really what I wrote about at all.  And that could be the hefty price involved when agreeing to see your print on the big screen.

By Charlotte Andrews


2 comments:

  1. I guess with book to film adaptations some things don't transfer too well.My friends in the industry tell me that plus budget allowances and more importantly the directors take on things is what decides.Still I would be happy for my book to be adapted for the big screen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that adaptations rarely live up to the book version. However, I don't like watching the film first either, because then all I can see is the actors and the chosen setting when I'm reading the book, instead of forming those characters and settings for myself. What to do?!

    ReplyDelete