Monday 10 December 2012

Brit Writers Awards 2012! Poetry Winner! Yvonne Marjot


I have to say that I entered Brit Writers' Awards' 2012 without great hopes.  I submitted my first two novels and a set of loosely-related poems (called Five Poems), inspired by the natural environment here on the Isle of Mull and the artists’ community that thrives here.  I’m a lone parent with school-age children so my income is very low, and I rarely enter competitions that have an entry fee.  But I told myself that I was paying to have someone actually read my work, and believe me after years of trotting my sample chapters off to agent after publisher after long-shot, and in 99% of cases never receiving a reply, it was worth it just to know that my work was going to be read by someone who cared.

I was delighted to be short-listed, and it seemed a heaven-sent opportunity to buy some new clothes, take a trip down from the West of Scotland to visit my family in England, and go out to dinner in London (never done that before!) So I arrived at the Thistle Hotel, Marble Arch, ready to have a good time and cheer like mad for all the prizewinners. Mingling before the event was good fun: I met some of the other finalists with their friends and families, and chatted to sponsors and successful authors.  But it didn’t occur to me for a moment that I might find myself one of them.



The adult poetry award was the second to be announced, and I think everyone else at my table realised it was me before it had sunk in.  I’m still on Cloud 9 – I don’t intend to come down for at least six months.  After the poetry prize, the award for Under-16 songwriter was announced, and Joel was also at our table (lucky table 19).  So let me tell you: we had the most enjoyable, outrageous, uproarious time for the rest of the evening.  Those people clapping, hooting and whistling for every single winner?  That was us!

One of the most moving aspects of the evening was the way in which Brit Writers took time to remind us how lucky we are to live in a society which values the written word, which rewards its writers, and which above all else grants us all the freedom to read, write and publish whatever we like.  There are many places in the world where to write, read or even speak is constrained or forbidden.  Char March’s poem about Malala Yousafzai reminds us of the price that may be paid, for something as simple as education.  Something we take for granted.  Something we often forget to value.

2012 has been a roller-coaster year for me, and I can’t help feeling the ride ahead will be just as exciting.

Thank you Brit Writers and Indigo Dreams Publishing.  I can’t wait!

Yvonne Marjot


Pictures courtesy of RKL Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment