Sunday 9 December 2012

Brit Writers' Awards' 2012 Under 16's Song writing Winner 2012 - Joel Cranefield




"I found the event fun and a great experience. It's not everyday you get to go to an awards ceremony with stars and future stars sitting just on your table! The atmosphere was fantastic and, of course, so was the food! Watching people win the awards brought a smile to my face and I don't think I saw anyone who wasn't smiling through the whole event!

The Brit Writers Awards 2012 has given me so much more confidence as I have sung my song to put on YouTube. I'm delighted I was given the opportunity and still can't get over the fact that I won!"

Amy and Joel at Brit Writers' Awards' 2012


Joel Cranefield  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4dbI0O-Mo

As a Parent...


"The Gala Dinner where the Brit Writers' Winners were announced was an exciting event for Joel, his friend Amy & myself.  Joel has always enjoyed writing, composing simple songs and over the last year or so has enjoyed making short comedy videos.  Joel’s Head Teacher told him about the Brit Writers Competition and he chose to enter his Sports Relief Song.  In February he had been moved by the scenes he saw in the run up to Sports Relief.  Aged eleven, he sat in his room and wrote the song and arranged with some friends to do a Sponsored 5k run.  He and his friend Amy raised £165 for Sports Relief and he decided to make the video.  He found the video clips, played the keyboard and filmed Amy singing the song.    Some months later I was completely taken by surprise to learn that Joel’s Song had reached the Final.  As a good friend Amy had sung the version that Joel originally sent up but as the final loomed she was unhappy about how she came across on the video so Joel re-recorded it using the same clips but this time singing it himself.  




The three of us entered the very grown-up literary environment of the Thistle Hotel feeling a little out of our depth but soon encountered a very wide range of engaging and encouraging people to listen to and learn from.  The Awards Ceremony was inspiring, not least because of range of entries and the reactions of those who won; it was a fantastic opportunity for Joel to see that Literature can be as exciting and rewarding as Film and Television.  I am sure that winning his category was an enormous boost for his confidence and that it will be a significant, proud and memorable event for us all.  As a parent I was encouraged to learn more about the support that Brit Writers is giving to Schools enabling students to develop their skills and enjoyment of Literature through a variety of media. I hope that many more children and budding writers will benefit from work of Brit Writers in the future."

Sharon Cranefield


Pictures courtesy of RKL Photography


No comments:

Post a Comment